Monday, January 01, 2007

My Song

Happy 2007 to you! Best wishes and many blessings to you for this new year.

Though I normally make resolutions, I have been trying to avoid doing so, because I never keep them and that depresses me. But my brain keeps trying to set some, so I compromised and decided that I will try to use less toilet paper. I will refrain from explaining why, but if you're curious, just ask.

So, I was reading the January issues of Real Simple, which includes an article about finding your song -- the song that bolsters your confidence when it is plummeting, like before an interview. My song? It's Secret Love, preferrably sung by Sinead O'Connor. Lyrics:

Once I had a secret love
That lived within the heart of me
All too soon my secret love
Became impatient to be free

So I told the friendly star
The way that dreamers often do
Just how wonderful you are
And why I'm so in love with you

Now I shout it from the highest hills
Even told the golden daffodils
At last my heart's an open door
And my secret love's no secret anymore


I love the references to stars and daffodils, two of my favorite things, and I love the imagery of being quiet and shy but love propelling you to burst open and share your specialness with the world. Sinead's version is the best in my opinion. Most other artists who have recorded the song have done it in a slow, ballad-y style. Except Ann Christy, who did a fun disco version. To me, this song is a celebration and should be performed as though you have burst open (in a non-gross manner).

I also like to sing to myself, to boost my confidence: "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." Very corny, I know, and admitting this embarrasses me a little, but it truly makes me feel brighter and more positive.

No comments: