Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Happy Engagement Anniversary to Me!

It was on this day, four years ago, that J popped the question. I still think of that day with such fondness. I have never been so surprised, so blindsided, in all my life.

Many of you know this story, but for those of you who don't, I'll give the shorter version. When J proposed, we weren't dating. About 8 months earlier, we had broken up because he didn't want kids and I didn't want to live on a boat. No animosity -- just headed in different directions. We stayed friends (no hanky panky, except for a few kisses), but we were both having a hard time moving on. Apparently, J was also rethinking his life path, but it wasn't something he and I ever discussed. He decided he wanted a family, not necessarily on a boat, and to have that family with me.

His proposal was so sweet. We were hanging out that night, making dinner together, and he told me earlier in the day he had something he wanted to talk to me about. So, when I asked him about it, he started telling me about how he had rethought his life and what he wanted. I remember thinking: "does this mean he wants a family with me or is he just letting me know about his change of heart?" Then he reached into his back pack, for what I thought was a tissue 'cause the guy has one of the runniest noses ever. Instead, he pulled out a grey velvet box with a beautiful ring inside and asked me to share my life with him.

And then I started sobbing and walking around my very small studio, wringing my hands and hyperventilating. I didn't answer him right then -- made him wait a few days, which he expected. But it was such a great moment.

When the time came, I pulled out a ring, got down on my knees and asked him to share his life with me. Well, that did happen, but actually I told him over the phone a few days earlier that I would marry him because I'm not so great at keeping things a surprise.

On January 19th, we'll celebrate the 7 year anniversary of our first kiss. I promise not to post about it.

No comments: