Wednesday, December 08, 2010

So, I missed a day...

Oh well.  Moving on.

As you may know, I am a reader of blogs.  Love, love blogs.  Well, mainly "mommy" blogs, but I tend to gravitate towards the artistic and hip "mommy" blogs.  I also read a "daddy" blog - Pacing the Panic Room.  He's being doing a video series for The Gap entitled "Do What You Love."  Very cleverly, he is doing what he loves - making movies - about people doing what they love.  While wearing Gap clothing.  I really liked the most recent episode (though all are fantastic) about Jessica.

Growing up, my parents did not appear to do what they love.  Now, with hindsight, I understand my dads where doing what they love - my Dad loves to work (any job) and my Father loves thinking technically (he's an Engineer).  But my mom never seemed to find a job she loved; she had those she was very good at, but didn't love.  I "suffer" (for lack of a better term) from the same fate.  I'm good at many things - accounting, writing, organization, phone banking, etc.  With the exception of writing (and it depends on the type of writing), I don't love doing those things.

I'm really not sure what my passion is.  I thought I had found "it" in the past but it got tedious after a while or boring.  Am I just easily bored?  Am I fickle?  Am I never satisfied?  I envy those people who are passionate about what they do - seeing the sparkle in their eyes, hearing their ideas, seeing them in action.  I want that - those feelings - for myself.

But, I wonder, is it a reasonable expectation?  Lots and lots of people work at jobs they don't love and get along just fine.  Am I putting too much emphasis on finding a job I love instead of finding a life a love?  I think that's the key.  And I am working on that - finding a life I love.  I have two job interviews this week, one full-time, one part-time.  Jason and I discussed the pros and cons of each and I felt drawn to the job that will allow me a bit more balance between work and home time, more time with my girls, more freedom, though all for less pay.  Which doesn't seem quite so important anymore - thankfully, we have the luxury for it to not be such a concern.  We'll see how it works out.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm continually amazed that I've managed to find not just a job, but a career that I love. On most days I'm excited to get up and get into the office to tackle my next challenge. The money is nice, but it's not why I'm here.

I don't know how I could go through life at a job that's just a means to a paycheck. I probably wouldn't.