Friday, March 14, 2008

Occasionally, I'm callous and strange*

This lovely feline is Hugo (or as I like to call him, when not cursing his name, Snugo = Snuggly+Hugo).  The photo was taken by the lovely Maggie.  Though, it does not capture his "lips," the pink skin that shows through his fur around his mouth.  You can see more Hugo pics and some M-F pics here.  Thanks, Heather!

So, you're probably now looking at the picture and then back to the title of the post and wondering, "What has she done to that devilishly handsome cat?"  No, no, it's not about anything I do to Hugo; it's something I do for him.  

You see, Hugo loves spiders.  Perhaps love is the wrong word, since he doesn't cuddle them or share his food with them.  He eats them, after he's chased them around a while, batted at them, put them in his mouth and spit them out a few times.  If he spots one walking across the ceiling or the wall, he'll start "talking" to them and pacing back and forth.

And that's where I come in, all callous and strange.  In the past, with spiders, I would make a pact with them - you stay over there, I'll stay over here and all's good.  Or if that just wasn't going to work, I'd get Jason (I'm not ashamed to admit this) to take them outside.  Every time I saw one, I would recall an interview with the Dalai Lama, when asked about his regrets, he said he regretted all the insects he had accidentally stepped on or swallowed throughout his life.  I was trying to do my part for the insect world.

But since getting Hugo, I (all by my brave self) have been getting the spiders down off the walls and ceilings and handing them over to him.  All in the name of love for my Snugo.  Yes, it's cruel.  Yes, it's a 180 from my previous practices.  And I feel a little guilt.  But I love making Hugo happy.  

I wonder to what lengths my love for my children will drive me?

I will also confess that I love eating lamb.  Yes, those cute, wooly, prancing lambs.  They are delicious.  And I don't feel a smidge of guilt about that, which I find a little curious.  Maggie said it's the one thing she doesn't like about me.  I think I can live with that.  For now at least.

*Quote from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 3, episode 13, "The Zeppo," said by Willow.  Told you I was a Buffy geek.

No comments: