Monday, March 17, 2008

Thinking About Books

I just started reading a book that has blown me away.  I'm only 40 some odd pages into it, but I am totally digging it.  I find these sorts of books rare, where I just fall in and don't want to stop reading.  That used to happen a lot when I was a kid.  My mom would get mad, well, frustrated really, because she'd buy me a new book and 3 hours later I'd have it finished.  I still remember the first book I didn't want to finish because I didn't like it.  I thought perhaps something was wrong with me.  A book I didn't like?!?  Over time, I've grown more picky, so that happens more often.  Now, I get miffed at the author and editor and book company, though this is just as ridiculous as getting mad at myself. 
 
My lovely, wonderful friend, Iris, from Germany, is coming to visit in May.  She's an avid reader and likes to read books in English to keep up on her language skills.  So, I've been pulling together a list of books for her.  Here's what I've got so far:



People of the Book is the one I'm raving about above.

Any others you would recommend?  She's pretty open to genre, time period, etc.

No comments: