Thursday, July 19, 2007

Soothing the Savage Beast

So, I'm at my radio show right now - it's a music interlude. The topic of the show is reproductive rights abroad and I'm playing lots of groovy international music (i.e., not sung in English). I'm actually very proud of that fact - only one of today's song is in English (a little Scottish ditty). I actually had enough in our iTunes to fill 2+ hours of non-English music. I'm so jet set. Actually, much credit is due to Ms. H and her wonderfully diverse music library.

Now, on to the subject of this post. Some of you have already heard me rant about driving in Walla Walla. Well, not driving, but Walla Walla drivers. They drive me crazy (ha ha). Many drive at least 5 mph under the already low speed limits in town, which top out at 35. And if you honk at them or flash your lights, they slow down even more. Oh, how this makes me crazy. I hate feeling that I cannot change something. They also change lanes without blinkers, stop in the middle of the street for no reason and opt to obey traffic laws when it's convenient.

In light of that, I've come to the conclusion that I need to be more Zen while driving or I was going to give myself an aneurysm or wind up in jail. I tried listening to music, and I tried listening to NPR, all to no avail. Finally, I have found my saving grace - books on CD. Listening to them puts my brain into balance mode - the part of my brain that usually rants about other drivers is silenced into focusing on the narrative, thus freeing up the other part of my brain to pay attention to the road. I actually think listening to books on CD makes me a better driver. Right now, I'm listening to The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan.

I wanted to share, in case any of you are like me. And to let those who already aware of my rage know that it is being soothed.

No comments: