Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Freegans


In Jane magazine, of all places, I read last night about a movement called freeganism (combo of free+vegan). According to freegan.info, freegans are "people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources." Simply put, they try to purchase as little as possible and what they do purchase is second hand or recycled. What interests me most about this movement is that freegans have realized the interconnectedness of the global capitalist economy and that boycotting one corporation or industry was not going to change things. Instead, they have boycotted the entire system and are living as simply and freely as possible, which includes their food, clothing, transportation and housing.

I just find this so fascinating, I had to share. I have been toying with the idea for a while about lessening my consumerism -- of course, I've just been thinking about it but not actually practicing. Reading about how freegans have integrated their philosophy into almost area of their lives inspires me to try a little too -- baby steps.

No comments: