Thursday, September 07, 2006

One more thing I've done...

well, witnessed, really. I meant to add this to the list below. While living in Chicago, I saw a cab driver murdered. At the time, I didn't know what the hell was going on. It was February 2005, very late at night -- around 3 am. I was awoken to the shouts of "F*ck you! F*ck you!" Then I heard an engine revving. I raced to the living room in time to see a cab driving forward really fast, then reversing and going forward again really fast. Then the cab drove off. I got on the phone to call 911, thinking I would alert them to a reckless cab driver, but then a woman started screaming for help. Within minutes, there were dozens of people on the street helping her. Once the ambulance arrived, I realized there was a man lying in the middle of the street. As they loaded him in to the ambulance, I couldn't tell if he was alive or dead. I was awake the rest of the night -- I hadn't been sleeping well during that time and all the excitement had me amped. The next morning, the news reported that the man had died. A passenger he picked up in my neighborhood had begun fighting with him about something and the passenger got so angry that he pulled the cab driver from his cab, beat him, then ran over him with the cab twice before driving off. The passenger was caught within a couple of days and deemed psychologically unstable. He later tried to kill himself. I was devastated when I learned what I had witnessed. I'm still a bit traumatized. But what bothers me the most is the woman I heard screaming. I wonder if she's okay -- she saw the whole thing happen from just a few feet away and then she tried to save the cab driver, cradling his head in her lap. He may have died there. And she didn't know if that passenger would be back or not. Knowing how much the whole thing has affected me -- someone witnessing it from four floors up -- I worry how it has affected her. I hope she's okay.

No comments: