Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Foot firmly planted

Irony of all ironies. Today, at work, we had our monthly All Staff meeting. During a section about communication with your co-workers, I say, in my slightly bitchy tone, something to the effect that I wish people would learn my correct title and that of my office mate's. Not such a big deal for me, but my office mate always gets these half-assed attempts at stating his title, which I think he finds a little insulting. So, my heart was in the right place, but oh so poorly executed. The moderator quickly, but not embarrassingly moved on, and one of my co-workers commented to me that people can't remember her title either. Anyway, I realized my folly soon thereafter -- inevitably, I'm going to mess up someone's title and sound like a jack ass (again). A little later, I realized that at AIDSWalk this past Sunday, while introducing J to some co-workers, I completely forgot one's name. Insert foot now. Why, why must I make a fool of myself in front of the entire organization? Lesson learned -- don't share these thoughts with all your co-workers. Try to keep some of them believing that you're not a complete jack ass.

Chagrined am I.

In reality, it's not a big deal, but I couldn't get over the irony -- while discussing what not to do regarding communications with co-worker, I set a prime example. Which I totally meant to do. I stepped up, took one for the team. How else are people going to learn without a bad example?

No comments: