Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Back with a Vengeance

The past few days, I've been mulling over the thought that I half-a** a good deal of my life -- relationships, work, citizenship, self-improvement. And I've been wondering what the hell I'm going to do about that, and, more importantly, when I'm going to do something about it. Hell, I've got 5 volunteers showing up tonight to learn from me what they can do to protect reproductive rights and promote sexual health. And, sure, I've got a fancy power point to let them know. But I feel like a sell out, since I don't do anything beyond what I get paid to do. And that's pathetic. I am a better human being than this, and I need to start acting like it.

This rant was prompted by my other posts and this quote from the post here:

I’ve quoted Thomas Jefferson before. I’ll do it again. People get the government they deserve.

Brothers and sisters, I say and I say again the fault lies not in your rulers but your self rule. You don’t really care – not enough of you anyway. If you did, you’d do something. But you’re just like me. You’re content in your middle-classdom, your health coverage, your relative assurance that you’ll have enough money to live on when you’re old and your delusion that even if all is not as it should be, it is as it must be. I, for one, will not subscribe any longer to such naïve optimism or such cynical fatalism. It ought not be this way and god damn it, it need not.

1 comment:

Nanimal said...

woah, I hear you on this - I often ponder what the heck I am really doing to make things kinder and gentler.